· Enforces using glutes as primary driver of all lower body movement
· Increases potential for lower body power
· Teaches efficient hip extension
· Relieves low back pain/tightness
PUTTING THEM IN YOUR PROGRAM
· Because the isometrics are held for long durations, high levels of tension are created in the muscle. This teaches individuals what it “feels” likes to be using their glutes for hip extension.
· It’s great to use these exercises at the beginning of a lower body session or in the early off-season because they will now understand what it feels like to be using their glutes in compound lower body movements.
· Ever since I started using @vandykestrength Glute Layering Isometrics in my training, I have experienced much less low back tightness and my lower body muscular endurance has improved because it removed my hip extension compensation pattern (I was a low back/quad driver)
HOW I USE THEM IN GPP
(Block 1: Option C)
· Accumulate 30-60 seconds total of an isometric contraction over the course of 1-2 sets,
· Straight Leg Kickback (Toe Down), Straight Leg Kickback (Toe Out), Fire Hydrant, Hip Thrust
· There are many other movements you can use, personally I have found these to work the best for my athletes and myself
Leave a Reply.
Head Strength & Conditioning Coach at Shakopee High School